Saturday 11 May 2013

OUGD505 - Exhibition poster

Mind explosion

With a quick turn around, I have let my head wander into the far reaches, this is a competition between peers and therefore I want to stand out using uncommon materials for an exhibition space. 

(sketches)


My research has led me to the point where I know that I can use an idea of abandonment through a piece of wood or vinyl which would cover the entire frame, showing a sense of a derelict area under redevelopment. 


(3 concepts)

The concepts were received well in the crit, the wood poster was highly praised in relation to the other ideas. I will be working with the wood idea as I believe it has a much better impact on the space as a whole.

There is limitations of using the 3D aspect in this brief such as cost to the course for providing several pieces of wood and the process of fixing them to the frames without damage. The process used would have to be ink or vinyl stickers. 





(improved idea)



Futura used for the impact it has, the weight of the type allows for easier screen printing onto the uneven surface of the wood. There is also  a risk with thin weight type for the ink to absorb and bleed into the wood grain. 

The copywriting I have used reflects the idea of a derelict area which no-one uses anymore, the area is under development and will be revealed to the public soon. 





The photograph of the wood came out grainy and the nature of the wood is very dark therefore I will be changing the wood for the background image. 

Final resolution


In context





Final crit & judging

For the final crit I had concluded that I could not afford the £25 from B&Q for a piece of particle board, therefore I chose to use the digital print facility and use a very high resolution image. This proved to be effective as I had one of the only responses at A1 size. Technologically the piece of work is low-fi and has maximum impact for a lower cost for the course to provide. 

I think that in comparison to other directions that were taken on this brief my design decisions had much more of an impact on the social space. 


Result and Evaluation

Unfortunately I did not get in the final 7 places, however I feel as thought if I had bought the piece of wood and used vinyl lettering to mock the piece up further I would have made more of a memorable impact. 

By exploring this side of graphic design, I think that my practice has improved in terms of communication of a message, I stayed away from the computer for the majority of the briefs duration, only using InDesign for the type layout. After much deliberation and the research that I carried out, I appreciate outlook on visual comunication and typography as a way of conveying a message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment