Friday 17 May 2013

OUGD505 - What is Good - Guest Book

Guest Book

As part of furthering my product range for the event I have produced a book from scratch at the Vernon Street site using book binder Sarah's tutorials. It has been incredibly rewarding and left me wondering why I have not done this over the past 2 years. The process is slow but came cheap at just £2.70 for all the materials and tutors time. 


Test shots of the book show the embossing on the front, this was tested on a piece of card first to ensure the whole thing did not squash too far before placing in the leafs. 


Detailing shows the embossing, Ben McKenna from 3rd year showed me his work on a DVD box set where he embossed over the book lining, working along side several 3rd year students at Vernon helped me realise my potential with this brief and I will definitely be using the site more over the course of the summer and 3rd year. 





The bone folders I used help pronounce the spine of the book, making it look of professional standard which is important. This book will be used at the wedding therefore it will need to be durable and last the tests of time. 


My research showed that there are going to be a number of children at the reception, there is also a generally younger audience of mid twenties attending therefore I felt it a good design decision to add a section on each DPS for a drawing, any guest can doodle or play in the book for the bride and groom to take away and laugh over. 



The stitching method that I used for the research booklet has directly influenced my final piece, this helped incredibly as it is the first time I have stitched. Originally I wanted to Japanese stitch the entire book but upon reflection and advice from Sarah it was decided that this method would be much more durable in the hands of about 100 people. 



No comments:

Post a Comment