Wednesday 8 May 2013

OUGD505 - What is good - construction

I will be providing the client with 2 versions of her invites at a budget of under 50p per invite. This is an incredibly tight budget and therefore my finish pieces for the reception will be a lower cost run. The second batch for the ceremony guests will reflect a luxury crafted pieces given a higher split of the budget. 

Budget Invite set After about 8 hours of cutting by hand, everything is cut and ready for construction, the one I make for my hand in will differ because these had a budget of 45p each, certain aspects such as double sided printing and flocking, foiling etc had to be axed from the brief.



The first instinct for the client was to receive off white or cream invites using the colour on the print rather than the card, after testing the results for the ivory pantone it became apparent that these files would be difficult to get correct without clashing with the pink. 







Fitting 10 of each set of bunting allows for maximum print for less cost, for the printers sake I named each file "three of these" etc and placed a reminder on each print. 


As each invite needed to be tailored for the amount of guests coming at the request of the client I simply had to multiply each version and mix the variation of the designs to still fit as many as possible onto one sheert,  this was very time consuming and became hard to track which ones had been added and which I had left to print. 




Sending these screen shots as a digital proof to the client helped before going to print. 






The budget invites came out real well, the stock was a Epson matt 230GSM from a leeds based printers that only prints on this card stock for its crisp white nature.





Finalised "Luxury" invites
I have booked slots for the bookbinding areas and vernon street copper etching areas in order to begin construction of the final set of invites to the ceremony. 

The studio sessions provided me with a look at what quality of work my peers are producing .. and project management skills.




Finalised proofs tested on greyscale help gauge the final scale of them before going to print. 


To keep costs low on a larger scale run, I have combined the piece of the invite as best as possible onto A4 sheets using crop marks. 

The date
Emphasis on the date of the wedding is important to the client as it is her "big day" therefore the blind embossing of the date will feature as a point of focus. Making a copper embossing plate will allow me to carry the message of the day of summer celebration through all of the ephemera. 

Testing the emboss on the card to see what pressure is needed in the machine, thicker card only needs around 1000PS, thinner weight stocks such as the envelope need much higher up to 5000. I have found that on the thinner stocker, the best way to gauge the pressure is that when the dial reaches 12 O'clock then it is pretty much done. 


The envelope came out as I expected, the lines are clean and my registration set up was perfect for it to fall inline with the point in the envelope. This will line up with the wax seal for a perfect alignment. 


The date needs to carry through into the invites therefore I have included them in twice inside, the RSVP sits between the blind emboss on the folder across the flap, metaphorically asking the recipients to be a part of the day. 

The registration here is off centre but I am really pleased with he quality of the pressing and adds to the craft feel of the invite. This is yet to be stuck to the folder but I has primarily threaded the bunting through this section of card also. 
Before I begin the finally construction I have tested the opening of the invite and it works very well, the bunting took a long time to place correctly so that it does not hang low. 






These colours of envelopes were used as a test run for colour matching, they do not reflect any level of sophistication for the ceremony therefore I have chosen a Plum/Burgundy colour at the same expense.


The final RSVP's are as the client requested (love hearts tick boxes and all) and I have produced them single sided to keep the costs of print down. I was sceptical about the pink not suiting the darker plum colour but I feel that it works when you see it in the physical form. 


No comments:

Post a Comment