Wednesday 6 February 2013

OUGD503 - Secret 7" - Laura Marling Artwork

The re-written brief



Development



Initial layout of where I want the separate areas  of the illustration to be on the final sleeve.



Background sketch for the trees. 




Comic book sketches of the creature tracing to get better detail from original sketch.





I have realised over the years that I take a very systematic approach to my sketch work, I have no idea if this is a standard practice in illustration, however it works for me. I feel much more comfortable sketching rough, deconstructing, re-drawing and re constructing. This brief was always going to be my "fun" brief to do so I have no problem with working in this lengthy way. 

All the pieces are in Illustrator from Photoshop and ready for construction before going back into Photoshop. What I thought was going to be a simple 2 day brief has turned into a much longer piece of work, simply because I am not used to working in an illustrative format with the computer. 

I believe that it is time to start illustrating more, I have always hidden away my illustrations because they are unusual and fantasy based however I am forcing myself to put some work out into the world for judgement. 


Re-working

After seeing my artwork come together on the screen, it was failing. I have taken a new direction with print finishing and construction in mind whereby my illustrations can be focused on my interpretation of the song.

The scratches are printed black on black with certain ones foiled red.

I wanted a comic book sketch effect in the first place so this fits well I feel. 






The black ink turned out exactly how I wanted it to, I selected a heavy stock in the print settings so that enough ink was applied for the foil to adhere to when in the press. 


The construction of the packaging is simple and standard for a 7" sleeve with a simple two flap fold. 



Final



Showing the foil reflecting in the light whilst also highlighting the black ink on the black stock was particularly tricky. A hand held lighting rig was set up with Greta and a macro lens was used. 



The photography came out pretty well considering the lighting set up that I had, I received help from Greta with this. Working with peers is beginning to show me that the studio environment can be improved by working together.

I thought it was a wise move to get my work on the Laura Marling Facebook page, I am only the second one to do this in the post relating to the Secret 7" competition.







No comments:

Post a Comment